Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pea and Fennel Crostini


Thinking about this combo now I'm sure it has already been done.....however, I am always a little slow with these things!

I was getting dinner together, the usual scenario, and I was was thinking about what vegetables I was going to serve with my sausages. In the fridge there was: half a carrot, a few cobs of corn and a bag of peas in the freezer.........that was it! So I had a look at what was ready in our vegie patch (sorry for not updating pics of our vegie patch. It is in full swing as usual but I am just so busy keeping up with everything else - so apologies to everyone) Anyway, the fennel was looking gorgeous..........what to do, what to do!


Ingredients

360 - 380g fennel (not including fronds) fronds removed and fennel chopped into thin wedges
200g frozen peas
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
Rustic baguette

How to make your pea and fennel crostini
Pop your oven on to 180C. Grab a heat proof dish and throw in the fennel with some extra virgin olive oil. Pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes. Make sure the fennel doesn't char, you want it to be lovely and silky soft. With about 20 minutes to go, grab another heat proof dish and throw in your chopped rustic baguette and drizzle it with extra virgin olive oil. When both the bread and fennel are ready, pop the fennel in a bowl. Meanwhile, pop your peas in a microwave proof dish with about 2 tablespoons water and microwave for about 3 minutes (depending on your wattage) drain and add to the fennel. Grab your bamix and blend roughly, till your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!
I haven't tried it but roasted garlic pureed through might be nice too.....let me know if you try it!
Grab a large plate and throw on the warmed chopped baguette. In a small dish add your pea and fennel puree.
Great mixed with Tuna and salad or enjoy instead of mashed potato! YUM

1 comment:

  1. Also, forgot to mention - Blogger is having some issues with displaying followers and I can see that there has been a new addition to those of you following this blog but unfortunately I cannot see you! so if you like send me an email or write a comment here to say Hi! Hope everyone is well;-).....maria xx

    ReplyDelete