Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Roast Carrot Hummus


I've been wanting to make this for years and seeing as though it took me about 40minutes to make from go to woe I really don't get why it has taken me this long....

Things like mayonnaise and hummus are forbidden in our house because both our kids have allergies to sesame, eggs and nuts - so that pretty much rules everything out except for chutney.....and if I even look at chutney again I'm going to barf!

Anyway, I saw the words "carrot hummus" somewhere along my travels, I never saw the recipe, not even a pic but those words have always stayed with me and today I finally brought it to fruition.

This recipe is so simple and it's easy to add your own artistic flair to it as well if you are serving it as a dip with some oven crispy lavosh bread......drool...

ingredients

2 large carrots (approx 175g each)topped, peeled and chopped into batons (not too skinny though)
extra virgin olive oil
salt
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon honey (optional)
1 can chickpeas
coriander leaves and pine nuts (optional)

how to make your roast carrot hummus

Pre-heat your oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.

Chop the carrots into batons and lay them individually on the baking paper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, scatter with some salt and the fennel seeds. Bake for 30 mins (don't let the carrot burn)

Rinse the chickpeas in a colander under running water. If using as a dip, keep a handful aside for decoration. Pop all the carrot along with the accumulated juices in a bowl and add the chickpeas. Using a stick blender, pulse to a thick puree. Add some more extra virgin olive oil to give it a nice consistency. It's up to you if you want to add the honey or not. I think it tastes delicious either way. Just be careful the honey can make it too sweet so use it scant and see how you go. DONE!

If serving as a dip pop the hummus in a dish and drizzle with a little extra oil, scatter over some chickpeas, pine nuts and coriander leaves......YUM.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment