Thursday, October 28, 2010

Treat please! - Halloween Rocky Road


With our new Etsy shop I'm getting really inspired by up and coming holidays and events. One of them being, of course, Halloween. Some of us celebrate it in Australia and some of us don't. I remember last year making up these cute little lolly bags for little trick or treaters.....and darn it, nobody came! but seeing all the amazing imagery and colours on Etsy it really got me thinking. So here's my version of a Rocky Road - Halloween style.

In my mind the apricots represent pumpkins, while the other elements - toasted coconut and choc coated sultanas.....well, I'll let your imagination run wild with those ones. I've brought it all together with some dark chocolate and biscuits. I'm sure it doesn't even have to be Halloween to enjoy these treats!

ingredients
dark cooking chocolate, melted
Turkish apricots, kept whole
choc coated sultanas (or you can use choc coated nuts if there are no allergies)
Shredded coconut, toasted (either in the oven or under the grill but keep an eye on it as it turns very fast)
Savoiardi sponge finger biscuits, chopped into 7 or 8 pieces each

How to make your Halloween Rocky Road

We are on holidays at the moment so I am away from my usual kitchen. I didn't use scales or any cup measurements. I kinda just used the force. This recipe is pretty simple though. Just grab the tin you would like to use (something with highish sides) line it with baking paper and go for it.
Throw in some pieces of biscuit, some choc sultanas, a few apricots and some toasted coconut. Melt your dark choc and pour it over the mix. No need to stir, it should ooze into the crevices! Now top with a few extra apricots, choc coated sultanas and a sprinkling of toasted coconut. Pop it in the fridge to let it all set. (I used a loaf tin. We went down to the beach for half an hour or so and it was ready by the time we got back)) Chop it up into chunks and serve. If making the night before, just make sure to keep it well covered with cling film in the fridge otherwise the biscuits will dry out.

You could wrap pieces up in some greaseproof paper or a cute cellophane bag and tie with an orange and black grosgrain ribbon. Trick or treat anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment