Sunday, June 13, 2010

That's one humble crumble - pear and ginger crumble


I found this delicious looking recipe in an old copy of Australian Table magazine. I've kept fairly true to the original recipe except for a couple of things. In the original, Ginger in syrup was used. Unable to find it anywhere, even in a Chinese grocer, I then turned to plan B. What about a ginger jam? So that is what I have used and it worked a treat! Next thing was the Oat bran. I just wasn't sure about it.It sounded a bit too healthy for my liking.... So I've cut it out and added an extra half cup of rolled oats.
If you really love ginger then use 1 tablespoon and a half of the jam; otherwise 1 tablespoon is just perfect.
This dessert would easily serve 6 people as you don't need a huge amount to be satisfied. Another tip, you could also use ramekins so each of your guests gets their own individual bowl of yumminess...


ingredients


4 pears (I used Buerre Bosc) peeled, cored and diced
1 tablespoon of ginger jam or marmalade (I used Buderim Ginger Spread)
1 tablespoon of caster sugar
1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
50g butter


how to make your crumble


pre heat oven to 220C.
combine pear, ginger, caster sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small pot over a low heat for 5 mins until sugar has dissolved. Now increase the heat to medium and cook for another 5 mins. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a food processor until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Pop the pear and ginger mix into a dish. Sprinkle over crumble mix and bake for 20 mins.
Devour with vanilla icecream. I haven't tried it but I think a simple warm chocolate sauce could even work with this dessert. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment