Friday, May 21, 2010

Cheap and Cheerful - Chicken and Rice


This is another dish that I grew up. I remember my Grandmother making this and when she grinded the pepper it seemed to go on for hours. She loved the peppery flavour the simple spice imparted. However, when I started eating grown up food I remember complaining about this. So for many years, untl my palate had grown up a little, my family would add the pepper after the cooking process or my Grandmother would make one especially for me, in a seperate roasting pan. She always knew how to keep everyone happy. Now I absolutely LOVE lots of pepper in this dish. The success of this meal kind of counts on it.

Depending on how many people you are feeding I generally do 2 chicken legs per person or 1 per child. This recipe will feed 4 people easily. Traditionally we ate this dish with some crusty bread but I think you can have too many carbs!

You'll need:
1 onion, chopped
500g uncooked, medium brown rice
8 chicken drumsticks
salt and pepper

Pre - heat oven to 190C and place baking paper in a roasting pan or use a creamic dish with a lid (no baking paper required) Heat oil in a fry pan and add your onion. Fry over a low heat so the onion softens. Turn up the heat a little and add your rice. Stir to slightly fry the rice. Now add salt and plenty of pepper. (You may want to see how you like the pepper taste after it's cooked so maybe go easy the first time you make it - it's up to you) Take off the heat and pour into your roasting pan. Now place the chicken drumsticks on top of the rice and pour over 2 cups of water. Cover tightly with 2 layers of foil or put on your lid and pop into your oven and bake for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours.

The chicken will be falling off the bone so take them out carefully and hopefully the rice will be lovely and crispy around the edges, mmmmmmm my favourite part!

No comments:

Post a Comment