Tuesday, April 20, 2010

death by chocolate is oh so sweet - fig and muscat brownies


I know, I know, another dessert with figs. I'll tell you how this came about. As I bought the rum for our hot toddy's it reminded me of my Husband's 30th birthday a few years back. I made a big batch of chocolate brownies and a big batch of rum and raison brownies for his birthday cake. I was thinking I could make them again but not everyone likes that combination. Sometimes the rum can be a bit overpowering. Then I came across this recipe and thought, "How deliciously sophisticated". You could take these to a dinner party and serve them with the muscat wine or a perfectly brewed cup of coffee; you could take these to a picnic and watch the joggers as they run past you salivating; You could even give these as a gift - the ultimate edible present! Plain brownies are for the kids;Rum and raison are for teens but these delicious morsels are definately for the grown-ups.

Chop up 100g figs (1/2 cup) finely. Place in a small bowl and pour over 60ml 1/4 cup of muscat. Stand for 20 mins.
Pre heat oven to 180C. Grease deep 19cm square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending over the sides so you can pull it out easily.
In a medium saucepan (make sure it's not too small) Stir 125g, coarsely chopped butter and 200g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely, over a low heat until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. (take off the stove)
Stir through 150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar, then 2 eggs that have been beaten lightly, then 185g (1 1/4 cups)sifted plain flour, then 150g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely (extra), then the fig mixture into the chocolate mixture.
Bake brownies for about 30 - 35 mins. Just keep checking them that they don't burn.
Cool in pan before pulling out and cutting into pieces. Dust with sifted cocoa.
makes about 36 pieces but cut them however you like.

"If you're gonna die eating chocolate, it might as well be these".

No comments:

Post a Comment